Jefferson County, originally part of Burke and Warren counties, was created in 1796 and named for Thomas Jefferson.
was originally known as "Shakerag." The name was changed to Wadley in
the 1870s in honor of the president of the Central of Georgia Railway.
The name change coincided with the designation of Wadley as an official
stop on the railroad.
Louisville, the county seat, was named
in honor of King Louis XVI of France, because of the support given by
France to the Colonials in the Revolution.
Louisville was Georgia's 3rd state capital, but its 1st permanent capital. The Jefferson County Courthouse, built in 1904, stands on the site of Georgia's 1st permanent capitol, constructed in 1795.
Louisville was the site of the Constitutional Convention of 1798 in which the state's pre-Civil War constitution was adopted. Georgia's Great Seal, which is still in use today, was adopted at the same time.
Old Market House
The Old Market House, the county's major tourist attraction, dates to the 1790s and served as the commercial center for the region during the time that the state capital was in Louisville.
Home to Festivals
Jefferson County is the site of multiple festivals including the: